Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FFFL Draft Analysis, Part Deux

My Individual Draft Analysis:

1. (11) Andre Johnson - I love Andre Johnson, but he always seems to get hurt when I own him. He'll have another solid-spectacular year with over 100 catches, barring an injury.

2. (14) Chris Johnson - There's a part of me that regrets this pick, but he catches balls and should get better in his second year, and Michael Silver claims that he'll be the second best back in football this year. Here's hoping... plus, he was my 4th-ranked RB in the predraft and fell to me in the second round, I couldn't really pass him up.

3. (35) Tony Gonzalez - I was hoping for Anquan Boldin to drop to me, but alas, he was taken one pick before I could get him. There was a big dropoff at receiver after Boldin, so I went with Gonzo against my own advice, and I'll either trade him or hope he does great things for me. I've never really had a great pass-catching TE before, so hopefully he helps my team.

4. (38) Dwayne Bowe - With Bowe, I now have 3 big-target receivers who also score some TDs. Hopefully Bowe has a "breakout" season in his third year, and a 90-catch, 1200 yard season would make me VERY happy. That's a bit inflated from my rankings, but I believe in Bowe.

5. (59) Derrick Ward - I didn't figure out how long it would be before I picked again, and at this point, I'm very thin on RBs. Ward could be a very good steal (for whatever reason I like Tampa's running game every year) if he produces like he did in New York and manages to hold off Earnest Graham as a TD vulture.

6. (62) LenDale White - I got kicked off my computer (why does that always happen in crunch time?) midway through the sixth round and barely got back with 5 seconds left to pick. White ended up as an auto-pick, and I probably would have gone with Willie Parker, or Anthony Gonzalez, who both got picked later in the sixth round. But I guess I'm backing up my stud RB in case of an injury. Bit early to do that, though.

7. (83) Matt Cassel - I was hoping one of the "Matt's" would fall to me (Schaub got taken in the 6th round, Ryan in the 7th before me) so Cassel became the pick. I absolutely HATE his early season schedule, but he'll probably be throwing early and often in KC's spread offense, and I'll love it every time he connects with Bowe, which will hopefully be early and often this year. For waiting on a QB, I could have done much, much worse.

8. (86) Kevin Walter - Baltimore's defense was sitting there begging me to pick them, but I just don't believe in them as much as I thought I would, so I kept with the PPR spirit and took Walter as my third receiver. I don't like that he's on the same team with Andre Johnson, but he showed promise last year with almost 900 yards and 60 catches along with some of the TDs that Johnson missed out on. Hopefully they can share the targets and catches somewhat equally this season.

9. (107) Fred Jackson - After another insanely long wait, I decided on Jackson. It seemed a bit early to go after him, but the team at the turn had already claimed Marshawn Lynch, so his handcuff might have been gone if I'd waited. Jackson also is a decent PPR RB, which means that if one of my main two aren't working out, Jackson could be a nice early plug-in play.

10. (110) New York Jets Defense - Yuck? I don't think so. Darrell Revis is a player, so is Bart Scott, so are a bunch of others on the Jets. It's not the best defense in fantasy football, but it's got a bit more punch with Rex Ryan and Bart Scott. At least in the early going, I love the potential of the Jets D.

11. (131) Nate Washington - For whatever reason, I'm bullish on Nate the Great. He's got a hammy injury now, but I think he'll be okay down the line. Once it gets to round 11, you're drafting sleepers anyway, so why not try for a potentially explosive receiver who has some height and speed? I probably will wait to start him and see how he's looking before I commit to him long-term.

12. (134) Percy Harvin - I have Harvin in two leagues now, getting him at pick 134 each time. Peter King recently published a list of his top rookies that had impressed him so far. Harvin's name was at the top. That gives me even more hope that this do-it-all rookie will do great things for me and/or become great trade bait.

13. (155) Chris Henry - This guy is a high-upside, low-risk pick for me, which is exactly what you're supposed to be drafting late in the 13th round. I could easily see him cracking my starting lineup within 3-4 weeks. I could also see him bagging groceries at the local supermarket or behind bars within 3-4 weeks. If he lives up to his potential, he's a steal.

14. (158) Trent Edwards - If you're throwing to T.O., you can have some great results. Tony Romo was a stud for a while, as was Donovan McNabb. Funny thing about it was that each stop he's made, his QB has been a stud in the first year or two of T.O.'s presence, then fallen off later. The 14th round has been very kind to me in the past, and I expect Edwards to emerge as a top-notch backup, if not high-quality starter by week 6.

15. (179) Nate Kaeding - A kicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment